Visa Regulations and Requirements Visa Information Other Entry Information Work/Entry Permit Passes International Adoption/ Conducting Research in Kenya by non-Kenyans/ Filming Requirements Kenya Passports Consular Services Forms and downloads

Kenya Passports

Kenyan citizens wishing to apply for new passports, travel documents or emergency certificates can do so at the nearest Kenyan Embassy, High Commission or Consulate at country of residence or visit. From 1st January 2007, new passports with validity of 10 years are being issued. With the issuance of the new passport with a ten year consecutive period, the renewal fee was merged into the initial fee paid at the application stage. Children are no longer endorsed in their parents’ passports, but parents must apply for their children’s own passport on the PP2 prescribed from.

Application for 48 page ‘B’ series passport has been stopped.  Kenyans are advised to apply for 32 page ‘A’ series passport.

Click here to download passport application forms & list of fees

Form 19(PDFPDF:33KB) to be completed for the issue of new passports or lost or defaced passports./ to be completed for issue of passports to children aged 0-16 years.

Passport fees

PASSPORT TYPE New Passport Fees
32 Pages Ordinary "A" Series Yen 5,500
48 pages Ordinary "B" Series Yen 7,500
64 Pages Ordinary "C" Series Yen 9,375
Diplomatic passport (48 page) Yen 9,375
Replacement of Lost passport ordinary Yen 15,000
Replacement of valid Mutilated passport Yen 12,500


Certificate of Identity Yen 3,750
Emergency travel document Yen 2,500

Additional Passport Information

This section covers the following:
  1. Application for a New Kenyan Passport
  2. Replacement of lost/stolen passports
  3. Passport application by children previously endorsed in their parent's passport
  4. Change of name

1. Application for a New Kenyan Passport

The Following documents are required for application of a new Kenyan

  • A completed Passport application Form 19(PDFPDF・33KB) available in downloadable form.
  • Photocopy of the previous passport.
  • 3 passport size photographs taken full face and in color. See notes on passport application form.
  • Fee of Japanese Yen 5,500 for ordinary 32 page passport.
  • Photocopy of marriage certificate where applicable.
  • Copy of Kenyan National ID Card.
  • Kenyan Birth Certificate


a) Kenyans are advised to apply for new passport 3 months before the
expiry date of their passport
b) Photos for Passport Application
Kindly ensure photos attached on passport application forms are as follows:
  • Clear photos – they should not be blurred nor have a dark hue, all facial features should be clearly outlined.
  • Photos with full face and both ears showing.
  • Photos taken against a white background.
  • The size of the face should be 3.5cm x 4.5cm.
  • Weaves and hair should not cover the forehead or the rest of the face.
  • Decent photos- ladies should not be wearing strappy or strapless tops.
  • Attach at least 3 photos.
  • Photos should be without shadows in the background.
  • Photos should be taken without spectacles.

2. Replacement of lost/stolen passports

The following are required for replacement of lost/stolen passports

  1. Original Birth Certificate
  2. Copy of National ID
  3. Duly completed Passport application form
  4. Three coloured Passport size photographs of the applicant with one of photos duly certified as true likeness of the applicant by the recommender
  5. An affidavit detailing the circumstances under which the loss occurred
  6. Police abstract
  7. Certified copy of the recommender’s National Identity Card
  8. Self-explanatory letter explaining circumstances of loss(including address & telephone number/e-mail in Japan)
  9. Fee Yen 15,000

3. Passport application by children previously endorsed in their parent's passport

  • Applicants should submit copies of their parent's passport, including the page containing the endorsement, a copy of both sides of the parent's birth certificate, and the applicant’s original Kenyan birth certificate.
  • The "recommender" part of the application form is to be completed by a Kenyan citizen living in Japan who knows the applicant or, if none is known, an official of the Kenyan Embassy in Japan.
  • The recommender must also sign one photograph (see instructions on form).

4. Change of name for married women and others.

  • Change of name for married women, especially those married to a non-Kenyan, should indicate their maiden names of the previous passport, and also include the marriage certificate. Those married to fellow Kenyans should include the particulars of the husband, i.e. his R-number and passport number, to enable the authorities to trace and amalgamate the files.
  • Women in second marriages should submit a divorce certificate or death certificate to nullify the previous marriage(s).
  • Kenyans wishing to change names through deed poll are to contact the relevant Japanese authorities, and also do it in Kenya through the Kenya Gazette. Affidavits will not be accepted.

Back to the top